Trace: • heidelberg
Table of Contents
Instructions for test compiling the Heidelberg virtual machine
Connect to VM (Persistent Session)
- Download and run VNC viewer from https://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/
- Connect to the Heidelberg VM in VNC viewer by going to the address: heidelberg.byu.edu:5903 and accept the unsecure connection notice
- Input password:convert
- Login Username: convert
- Login Password: cn
Transfer Files Via Internet
- Log in to Google Drive (or other source) using FireFox
- Download as usual
Transfer Files Via J Drive
To access the J Drive on your Windows machine:
(It should be automaticaly mounted on any department or CAEDM lab computer)
- Windows 7: Right click “My Computer” and select “Map Network Drive…”. (Windows 10: open file explorer, click on “This PC” on the left, click on “Computer” on the top menu, and then click “Map Network Drive”)
- Select j: as the drive in the “Drive” box.
- Type in the “Folder” box \\fs-caedm.et.byu.edu\YOURCAEDMUSERNAME
- Select “Connect using a different user name”.
- Enter “CAEDM_AD\” and then your CAEDM user name and password. For example: “CAEDM_AD\engineer1” (without the quotes)
- Click “OK” and then “Finished”.
To transfer files from the J Drive to the Heidelberg VM:
- Click on the “Connect to J Drive.desktop” file on the desktop. This will start a script.
- Input your CAEDM username and password when prompted. You should now be connected to the J Drive in the command prompt. (You will see a bash prompt that looks like 'smb: \>')
- Use “ls” to view the contents of the current folder.
- Use “cd <folder>” to navigate to a directory (or “cd ..” to go back 1 directory) Folder names with spaces need to be enclosed in quotes. Example: cd My Documents —> cd “My Documents”
- Use “help” for a list of all possible commands
- Use “get <filename>” to transfer any files you may have. The file will be placed in the directory /home/convert/<yourCAEDMusername>. If that folder does not exist, it will be created.
- To recursively download, use the following commands:
recurse(turns on recursion, typing it again will disable it)
prompt(turns off the prompt for induvidual file copies, typing it again will enable prompts)
- The folder will be moved to /home/convert/yourCAEDMusername
- Close the window to close the connection
- Click on the File Cabinet Icon on the bottom dock of the desktop.
- In the navigation window towards the top, type in /home/convert/<yourCAEDMusername> to view your files.
To UPLOAD to the J drive
- For a single file, use “put file/path/from/VM \desitnation\file\path” without the quotes
- To recursively upload a folder, type in the following commands, one at a time:
lcd /source/folder/path(For example: lcd /home/convert/tjs91)
cd \navigate\to\destination\folder(For example: cd “My Documents\uploads”)
wiki/student/heidelberg.txt · Last modified: 2019/03/21 15:45 by cwday